Re: PHP using suexec

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 15:05, Adam Henry wrote:

> My experience with PHP and suexec was less than favorable.  It is a
> requirement for me that different virtual hosts have different PHP admin
> settings (some sites don't need globals, some do).  I haven't found a

The best solution that I know of would be to use apache2's mpm-perchild
module.  This instructs apache to fork an  apache server for each
virtual host, the process can run as a specific user for each host.  As
an added bonus you should even be able to run mod_php with this scheme
instead of the CGI version.  Unfortunately it's not quite ready for
prime-time, here's the description from apache2-mpm-perchild in sid:

   Experimental High speed perchild threaded model for Apache2
   Perchild is the grown up, mac daddy version of suexec for apache2.
   Rather than execute a cgi script as a given user, perchild forks a
   process for each vhost, then su's to the correct user/group for that
   vhost.

   Each process then uses a thread model similar to that of the worker
   mpm.

   THIS MPM IS NOT CURRENTLY EXPECTED TO WORK CORRECTLY, IF AT ALL. IT
   IS UNDER VERY HEAVY DEVELOPMENT.
   This mpm is still highly experimental, and should be used with care.

This is an apache feature that I've been waiting breathlessly for since
I heard about it a couple of years ago.  If anyone actually runs this
with success I'd love to hear about it.  The dire warnings have kept me
away so far.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://wehave.net/
Brampton, Ontario, Canada                    Linux 2.4.20 AuthenticAMD