Re: Multiple servers for 1 domain name?

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 16:28, Jason Lim wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if you guys are aware of any solution for multiple servers
> to server 1 domain name?
>
> That is... like those big ISPs that have "user" webhosting.
>
> http://members.isp.com/joe/ (goes to server no. 5)
> http://members.isp.com/jane/ (goes to server no. 3)
> http://members.isp.com/someone/ (goes to server no. 2)
[...]
> Basically the reason for doing this is because the existing single server
> is overloaded, and need to split the workload to 1 or 2 more servers.

Some of the problem might be solved by moving the database to a
dedicated machine. If that doesn't spread the load enough, doing a DNS
round-robin (having member.isp.com resolve to two different machines
with exactly the same setup) might solve the problem. The web
directories etc. (especially writeable areas for cgi programs) would
need to be shared, with NFS for example (which might create some locking
problems so you'd need to be careful...).

Of course, this causes requests going to a random server - so PHPs
session tracking ability etc. will have problems. If you use such
things, investigating just upgrading the server first could already
bring relief (where is the performance problem exactly? Disk? CPU?
Memory?)

cheers
-- vbi

--