Re: Multiple servers for 1 domain name?

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:28:23PM +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> http://members.isp.com/joe/ (goes to server no. 5)
> http://members.isp.com/jane/ (goes to server no. 3)
> http://members.isp.com/someone/ (goes to server no. 2)
>
> I've been looking at Apache's redirect function, so that it could be set
> so a single server receives all requests, and redirects the request to the
> server with the user on it. But the problem with that is that it
> introduces a single point-of-failure.

use mod_redirect, which you're already looking at.  Put in two (or more)
redirect servers, and round-robin or otherwise combine them for no single
points of failure.

An interesting design could use all the servers as redirection servers,
using the scripting language of your choice to generate a custom
redirection "map" for each server.  No single points of failure there.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/