Re: Gaming server

yes

>From limited experience a linux game server is way faster and more stable
than a win2k one (are we surprised). The slowest Athlon you can buy today
(2000XP?)  combined with 512meg of ram will support 64 clients easily on Q2
and Q3  for instance, with both games running at once. The only time it might
falter is if lots of clients have bfg fireballs in the air at once  (must be
due to the calcs these must need)

The smallest cpu Ive run on is a p2-300 with 256M of ram and that ran 16 ppl
on a lan fine in Q2 with someting like a 0.2 ~ 0.3 load.

Most clients were/are optimised to run on what a standard modem can provide,
so if you have a good  make of 100 Meg card and a switch network should not
be an issue. eepro's, 3com 905s, Dec tulips, all have low cpu requirements
and work well.

regards,

Thing