odbc_pconnect()

Howdy,
I am trying to get php to connect to a remote MS MQL server on a non standard port. It seems that one way to do it is with odbc. I have loaded what I think are the necessary packages and setup my odbc.ini file. But I still get this error on my page:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: odbc_pconnect() in

I am running woody with the stable packages, apache, php4, etc... I have installed most of the odbc related packages I could find, such as php4-odbc, odbcins1, unixodbc, etc...

What package do I need to load, or what configuration do I need to edit to get the odbc_pconnect() function to work?

thanks for your help!

bernie