Re: monitoring load average

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:08:29AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:15, Javier wrote:
> > Perhaps you can try with vmstat. It gives you the CPU idle time, so you
> > can easily program an script that returns (100 - idle time). Use
> > netsaint_statd plugin to return to netsaint server what your script
> > returns.
> Thanks for the suggestion.  However I still need to have a separate script
> running vmstat as it's results are wildly inaccurate if run as "vmstat", you
> need to run "vmstat 2" to get reliable results (and the first line won't be
> the one you want).
> I was thinking of having something like vmstat constantly running and
> periodically writing it's results to a file.
> Another issue is that I don't want a load spike to trigger an alert.  So I
> want to have an average over say a minute "vmstat 60" (which makes it
> impossible to run vmstat from the script, reading from an output file from a
> daemon process is the only real option).

I'd use SNMP. I graph the basic stuff you're looking for with RRDtool:

I don't do any I/O stuff, but you could look for it in the MIB2 host MIB
or UCD enterprise MIBs - I'm sure there's something. If there isn't, do
what I do for DNS stat graphing and fire off a shell script to extend
it: <URL:http://www.campin.net/DNS/graph.html>

A major benefit to using SNMP is that many other network monitoring and
management systems utilize it, so if you deploy one it'll be able to
work with your existing infrastructure.
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your pleased too no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.
 -Janet Minor
"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked."  -Jeff Pesis