Re: djb and multiple IPs

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 at 15:27:40 -0200, Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues wrote:
> Tomasz Papszun writes:
> > If I understand djbdns' documentation correctly, it is _impossible_ to
> > run both DNS functions: authoritative-only NS ('tinydns') and
> > recursive/caching server ('dnscache') on the same IP address, right?
>
> Right. Two different programs can't bind to port 53 on the same IP address.

Yes, I know that. I hoped (with quite small hope), that there could be
some way doing it by means of this "svs-something" or so...

> > I know that it's better when these functions are separated and run on
> > different IP addresses.
>
> Yes.
>
> > But using different addresses for them is _not_ an option for me, due
> > to various reasons.
>
> Why? Can you list the reasons? For example, do you really need an external

Reasons are mainly historical. It would be very difficult to suddenly
change all delegations, settings of many customers' computers and so on.
Generally speaking, things which are dependent on many other persons.
Personally, I could get used to new format of files, hard-coded magic
filenames, absolute lack of manual pages, let this ugly and ridiculous
/service in the "/" directory and so on, but due to things which would
involve other peoples, it's definitely not an option, at least
currently. So djbdns is out of discussion. I must say it with sadness
because I really would like to use DJB software because of it's
security.

> cache and a server running on the same machine, which can only have one public
> IP address?

Yes. I mean, I can assign more addresses but queries must come to the
same address (and answers must go back from the same address).

> There are many configurations you could try, depending on your network
> topology.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Adriano