ClamScan: Can't initialize virus database

I recently installed the clamav, spamassassin, amavis-postfix, and
oav-update packages on our mail server. Unfortunately, I keep getting a
message that the virus scanner does not function. Everything else is running
well, but when I try to run clamscan manually, it reports the following:

ERROR: hex2int() translation problem (69)
ERROR: Can't initialize virus database.

running "oav-update -f" reports:

oav-update: clamscan with update does not work - autopsy
/var/lib/oav-update/20021014164528

I have an identically configured system that has no problems. Anyone have
any ideas why this system does not work?