Re: LDAP in an ISP

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Charl Matthee wrote:

> On Tue Jul 23 2002 at 09:00:20AM +0800 'Daniel Hooper' <dhooper@ofc.emerge.net.au> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone run an LDAP back end within an ISP ? Im looking to rebuild
> > the ISP and use ldap with some sort of radius configuration. Has anyone
> > got any sort of expeirence with this? Basically im just wanting to know
> > what to use, livingston/cistron ? and is LDAP really what I should be
> > using, or is there something funkier ?
>
> We use Radius Radiator [www.open.com.au/radiator]. It has numerous auth
> modules (LDAP being one). We generally need to do some interesting
> things that span multiple databases (LDAP being one) to authenticate a
> user.
>
> Radiator can delegate auth requests to an external script which is how we
> implement this.
>
> Radiator is not free (and many say it is not very scalable but we have not
> run into any issues).

If you forgive the shameless plug, OpenRADIUS may be a good alternative.
It's a RADIUS server with a C core, supporting external modules written
in other languages, but without the "CGI"-penalty (doesn't spawn per
request), and it comes with a flexible LDAP backend module. You can not
only put your users in LDAP but your NASes as well with this server.

See http://www.openradius.net. No debian package is yet available
though; you'll have to compile from source.

Oh, and it's free as in speech and free as in beer.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   e-advies@evbergen.xs4all.nl