Re: Moving from BSDi

At 05:39 PM 10/28/2002 +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
You could create a test account and set a password, then post the lines from
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow here and we'll try and devise some sort of
proceedure for you...

The BSDi machines use /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd, I think that is
MD5.

There are Debian packages for grsec (secure chroot environments, memory
address randomisation and other protections against stack smashing, network
randomisation, and much more), kernel-patch-ctx (for like BSD jails), LIDS,
and more.

I am very impressed with the package selection, what I am even more impressed
with is the fact that THEY WORK when you install them.  I am going to offer a
adult content filtering proxy to our clients if they want, I have been trying to get
Squid working on Mandrake and Red Hat for several weeks.  Tried the Debian
box, downloaded it and was running in 10 minutes. The time savings and the less
frustration made me think "this is the way to go"!

For an ISP I'm sure you are very interested in security. Debian now has an OK
range of options, in the next release it'll beat them all!

I think the light is starting to shine brighter :)  Thank you.

-Scott