Re: Moving from BSDi

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:49, Scott St. John wrote:
> First, does anyone know of a way to export the user accounts on BSDi and
> import them into
> a Debian box?  I have close to 5,000 accounts I need to bring over.

Debian supports both DES and MD5 hashing of passwords.  If the BSD passwords
for your accounts are in one of those formats then it'll be trivial to
convert them.

You could create a test account and set a password, then post the lines from
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow here and we'll try and devise some sort of
proceedure for you...

> Second, of the ISP's on this list, what are you using Debian
> for?  Everything?  DNS, Mail, web?

I've been using Debian for all ISP server functions since 1996.  In 1996
Debian's capabilities were less than they are now, but the capabilities of
Debian have been consistantly increasing faster than my requirements.

In 1996 Debian barely did the job, I initially had to compile some common
software myself because it wasn't packaged.  Now Debian has such a huge range
of packaged software that the difficult task is to find the package you want
in the huge list!!!

> I am running an ISP now and am seriously considering looking Debian to be
> my new work
> horse after a sad display of performance of the above mentioned.

Also something you may want to consider is NSA Security Enhanced Linux.  It's
one of the options for advanced security that will be in the next Debian
release.

There are Debian packages for grsec (secure chroot environments, memory
address randomisation and other protections against stack smashing, network
randomisation, and much more), kernel-patch-ctx (for like BSD jails), LIDS,
and more.

For an ISP I'm sure you are very interested in security.  Debian now has an OK
range of options, in the next release it'll beat them all!