Spamd not accessing MySQL database

I am currently running these versions of the following packages:
    Amavis-Postfix v. 20020515-11
    SpamAssassin v. 2.20-1woody
    MySQL v. 3.23.49-8

The /etc/default/spamassassin is configured to enable spamd with options
"-aqx" as per the readme files. I have the specified entries in
/etc/procmailrc
and these entries are included in my /etc/spamassassin/local.cf file.
    user_scores_dsn         DBI:mysql:spamassassin:localhost
    user_scores_sql_username        spamuser
    user_scores_sql_password        spampass

I have restarted all daemons several times but /var/log/mysql.log shows no
accesses coinciding with scanned messages. The default threshhold is 10,
with the individual account threshhold set for 8, but spamd is still using
the
default system threshhold setting. I do have mailbox_command set to use
/usr/bin/procmail in my /etc/postfix/main.cf file, but I can't seem to get
the
system to recognize the correct settings.