Re: [woody] sendmail bug?. Yes, it is

> > I have installed Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r0 (woody). I have updated it from
> > security and ftp.debian.org using apt-get.
> >
> > I have found troubles installing sendmail 8.12.3-4
> >
> > /usr/sbin/sendmailconfig: /usr/sbin/update-conf: No such file or
> > directory
> >     Correct /etc/mail/sendmail.conf before continuing.
> > # ls -l /etc/mail/
> >     Does not show any sendmail.conf file!.

> this bug has been around for a while, luckily its easily
> worked around:
>
> run locate update-conf
> and link to it from /usr/sbin
>
> i think it's in /usr/share/sendmail/bin or something

I have applied this work around: "ln -s /usr/share/sendmail/update_conf
/usr/sbin/update_conf", but the sendmail daemon does not run.

 * If I execute "/etc/init.d/sendmail start" the system shows:
    Starting Mail Transport Agent: Sendmailsendmail has not been
    configured, not started.
    To configure sendmail, type sendmailconfig

 * So, I execute "sendmailconfig" again:
    Configure sendmail with the existing /etc/mail/sendmail.conf? [Y]
    Reading configuration from /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
    Validating configuration.
    Writing configuration to /etc/mail/sendmail.conf.
    Writing /etc/cron.d/sendmail.
    Configure sendmail with the existing /etc/mail/sendmail.mc? [Y]
    Reload the running sendmail now with the new configuration? [Y]
    Reloading sendmail ...

 * I execute "ps -el | grep sendmail" and it does not show anything!

Reading
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=sendmail&archive
=no I have thought to install the package from testing or unstable.

http://packages.debian.org/stable/mail/sendmail.html
Package: sendmail 8.12.3-4

http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/sendmail.html
Package: sendmail 8.12.5-1

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/sendmail.html
Package: sendmail 8.12.6-4

Installing the sendmail package from "testing" or from "unstable" solves the
problem, that is to say, it gets the sendmail process running, but it shows
the below message. Is that message important?.

    Starting Mail Transport Agent: sendmailWarning: Cannot use
HostStatusDirectory
     = /var/lib/sendmail/host_status: No such file or directory
    .

Regards,
Davi Leal