Re: traffic reporter

On 09/12/2002 08:57:30 AM Marcel Hicking wrote:

>> <jose@iteso.mx> wrote:
>> >   I need to implement traffic shaper in my net but must get info on
what
>> > traffic is eating up more bw.
>> >
>> >   What traffic sniffers/reporters have you played with or can recomend
or
>> > comment on? (preferably with HTML/graphic output).
>>
>> $ apt-cache show ntop
>> $ apt-cache show sntop

Good choices.
I suggest iptraf, tcpdump, and iptstate are also good.
As a general rule, I find the more "graphics" the slower and harder to use,
and the less information presented.

nmc:~$ apt-cache show iptraf
 IPTraf is an ncurses-based IP LAN monitor that generates
 various network statistics including TCP info, UDP counts
 ICMP and OSPF information, Ethernet load info, node stats
 IP checksum errors, and others.
 .
 Note that since 2.0.0 IPTraf requires a kernel >= 2.2

$ apt-cache show tcpdump
 This program allows you to dump the traffic on a network. tcpdump
 is able to examine IPv4, ICMPv4, IPv6, ICMPv6, UDP, TCP, SNMP, AFS
 BGP, RIP, PIM, DVMRP, IGMP, SMB, OSPF, NFS and many other packet
 types.
 .
 It can be used to print out the headers of packets on a network
 interface, filter packets that match a certain expression. You can
 use this tool to track down network problems, to detect "ping attacks"
 or to monitor network activities. More information is at

$ apt-cache show iptstate
 IP Tables State (iptstate) was originally written to implement the
 "state top" feature of IP Filter for netfilter/iptables.  "State top"
 displays the states held by your stateful firewall in a top-like
 manner.