Re: traffic reporter

On 09/12/2002 08:57:30 AM Marcel Hicking wrote:

>> <jose@iteso.mx> wrote:
>> >   I need to implement traffic shaper in my net but must get info on
>> > traffic is eating up more bw.
>> >
>> >   What traffic sniffers/reporters have you played with or can recomend
>> > comment on? (preferably with HTML/graphic output).
>> $ apt-cache show ntop
>> $ apt-cache show sntop

Good choices.
I suggest iptraf, tcpdump, and iptstate are also good.
As a general rule, I find the more "graphics" the slower and harder to use,
and the less information presented.

nmc:~$ apt-cache show iptraf
 IPTraf is an ncurses-based IP LAN monitor that generates
 various network statistics including TCP info, UDP counts
 ICMP and OSPF information, Ethernet load info, node stats
 IP checksum errors, and others.
 Note that since 2.0.0 IPTraf requires a kernel >= 2.2

$ apt-cache show tcpdump
 This program allows you to dump the traffic on a network. tcpdump
 is able to examine IPv4, ICMPv4, IPv6, ICMPv6, UDP, TCP, SNMP, AFS
 BGP, RIP, PIM, DVMRP, IGMP, SMB, OSPF, NFS and many other packet
 It can be used to print out the headers of packets on a network
 interface, filter packets that match a certain expression. You can
 use this tool to track down network problems, to detect "ping attacks"
 or to monitor network activities. More information is at

$ apt-cache show iptstate
 IP Tables State (iptstate) was originally written to implement the
 "state top" feature of IP Filter for netfilter/iptables.  "State top"
 displays the states held by your stateful firewall in a top-like