Re: New approach with removable IDE RAID Backup (was: Tape Question)

Hello Christian

On 28 Aug 2002 at 0:39, Christian Hammers wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:14:09PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > I have a big size file about 33G in /home directory !!! and i wanna
> > > backup this file into tape device....
> Why tape, buy a ATA (IDE) RAID controller that allowes hot swap and hot
> plugable devices (e.g. 3ware). Then setup a raid1 between two harddiscs.
>
> Whenever you like to do the backup simply mount that array, rsync /home
> to it and umount again. The next morning, exchange one of the discs agains
> a new one, the discs are your backup medium. The new disc will be rebuild
> automatically and be available for the next backup after a few hours.

<snip>

> Any comments?

We currently do this with 40 GB IDE drives, using Linux software
raid1 and COLD swapping. (The server gets shut down twice a week).

There are three drives. One permantly mounted, one in a removable
drive bay in the server and one at home. Once a week I shut down the
server and take the removeable drive out. I boot the server with one
drive and take the removeable one home. Next day I bring the other
drive back, shut the server down again and plug it in. Boot the
server and start the raid started manually.

We have live raid in the office and an offsite backup. Simple cheap
and effective.

(Note the three drives are never at the same place at the same time.)

Regards

Ian
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa