Re: New approach with removable IDE RAID Backup (was: Tape Question)

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:39:26AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:14:09PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > I have a big size file about 33G in /home directory !!! and i
> > > wanna backup this file into tape device....
>
> Why tape, buy a ATA (IDE) RAID controller that allowes hot swap and
> hot plugable devices (e.g. 3ware). Then setup a raid1 between two
> harddiscs.
>
> [...]

not a bad idea.  i've seen similar ideas before, but since they didn't
involve hot-swap drives i considered them to be hopelessly impractical.
it's a lot more feasible with hot-swap drives.

> Any comments?

1. as well as the raid rebuild, you still need to rsync the new/changed
data to the raid array after a drive has been hot-swapped - and ideally,
that should be delayed until after the rebuild has completed....does the
3ware unit have tools for monitoring the progress/status of the rebuild?

2. what about off-site backup?  or archiving?  i think a tape drive is
still needed for these purposes.  drives are too fragile to carry back
and forth between home and work every day, and still too expensive to
just sit one on the shelf for an archive (and how would you restore
archived data if the raid unit will rebuild it to the latest version as
soon as you plug it in?)

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>