Re: OT: Server side scripting languages comparison

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 12:47:54PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Does anyone know where I could find a good and *fair(ish)* comparison
> of the different server side scripting languages on the web ?

i haven't seen any comprehensive comparisons, but i've used and dabbled
with a few.

IMO, the best around is HTML::Mason running under mod_perl, a very nice
component based system for embedding perl code in html pages.  it works
well with common perl modules (like Apache::Session for session
management).

see http://www.masonhq.com/ for details.

note, however, that if you're on a shared server (e.g. a virtual host)
then mod_perl is not a good or safe solution.  malicious or incompetent
code from other users can access your code or variables and even bring
down the entire server.  fortunately, HTML::Mason can be run as straight
CGI or with SpeedyCGI (speedyCGI is a nice compromise between the speed
of persistent perl processes and security)

all of the above programs are available as debian packages.

if you like python, Zope is a pretty good system.  it's a lot more than
just a server-side scripting language, though.  it's a complete
integrated web application environment.  very nice if you like that kind
of thing.

finally, PHP isn't too bad (except that in my experience it is very
fragile, prone to breaking on upgrades).  i personally don't see any
advantage in it over perl, quite the opposite in fact. the language
syntax is very similar...IMO, it "feels" like a clumsy perl.  it is
easier to get up and running than HTML::Mason (no need to write a
handler script), but IMO that's not as important as what the language is
capable of and what modules etc are available.

zope and php are also available as debian packages.

> I would also be very interested in a similar comparison of databases.

there are numerous database comparisons available on the web.  try a
search on google.

i recommend postgres.  it's a real database, not a jumped-up toy.  it
also has excellent administration features.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.