Re: Bandwidth testing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>
To: "jan@hwfaq" <jan@hwfaq.be>; <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: Bandwidth testing

> > > I was wondering what the best way to determine maximum bandwidth
> > > thoughtput is. I've looked at "bing", but it doesn't seem very
> accurate to
> > > me.
> > >
> > > Do you know of a tool or method which can simulate large bandwidth
> > > traffic, or can otherwise measure what maximum bandwidth thoughtput
> is?
> > >

> > You should take a look at the package netdiag and especially
> > tcp{blast,spray}.
> >
> > --8<-
> > (trafshow,strobe,netwatch,statnet,tcpspray,tcpblast)
> >  Netdiag contains a collection of small tools to analyze network traffic
> and
> >  configuration of remote hosts (strobe). It is of invaluable help if
> your
> >  system is showing strange network behaviour and you want to find out
> what
> >  your network is doing.
> > --8<-
> >

> I am having a look at it... but it doesn't seem to have a function to test
> overall bandwidth thoughtput? Perhaps I am missing something?

I'm not sure what you mean with "overall" but if you have access to a
computer running the discard or echo service at the other end of your
upstream-link (jasonlim.com <----AGC/upstream----> computer B) then you can
run tcpblast on one of your jasonlim.com-computers ($tcpblast <ip/hostname
computer B> <number of KB you want transfered>) and that should give you the
maximum bandwith your upstream provides (repeated a number of times to
eliminate errors).