Re: Bandwidth testing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Lim" <maillist@jasonlim.com>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 6:59 PM
Subject: Bandwidth testing

> Hi all,
>
> I suspect that our upstream bandwidth providers including AGC (Asia Global
> Crossing) and that aren't providing us with the maximum possible bandwidth
> that we should be theoretically getting. We've been looking at informally
> made MRTG reports (yes, we know it isn't very accurate, which is why we're
> looking for a better way). And unless we can come up with some hard
> figures, the upstreams are ignoring us.
>
> I was wondering what the best way to determine maximum bandwidth
> thoughtput is. I've looked at "bing", but it doesn't seem very accurate to
> me.
>
> Do you know of a tool or method which can simulate large bandwidth
> traffic, or can otherwise measure what maximum bandwidth thoughtput is?

You should take a look at the package netdiag and especially
tcp{blast,spray}.

--8<-
(trafshow,strobe,netwatch,statnet,tcpspray,tcpblast)
 Netdiag contains a collection of small tools to analyze network traffic and
 configuration of remote hosts (strobe). It is of invaluable help if your
 system is showing strange network behaviour and you want to find out what
 your network is doing.
--8<-