Re: Boarding SuSE with Debian

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 12:57:24PM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:24:59PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:17:45PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd recommend using the swap
> > > partition as suggested above, and using the original kernel from suse.
> > > You know it boots the box, so use it again.
> >
> > Er, I meant the _currently_ running kernel. Using a known good kernel
> > cuts down the number of things that can go wrong - the guiding principle
> > for sysadmins ;)
>
> Yes, but be _very_ careful... you will need more than just the kernel, you
> will also need any initrd images, and you will need to make sure that the
> kernel+initrd will work for the new configuration... ie don't change fs type
> or anything.
>
> In some ways trying to use the same kernel introduces as much risk as it
> avoids... I'd probably be inclined to risk a new kernel rather than risk
> stuffing up running the old kernel under a new distro...

There's always a hundred reasons one approach *could* fail, and if you
have an old kernel that needs modules and an initrd image this approach
is more difficult.

He needs to be _very_ careful with this approach no matter which advice
he acts on. If his current kernel is a non-modular kernel with no initrd
image (like mine was), I strongly advise re-using it.
--
Yea, tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of clues, I shall fear
no luser, for Thou lart with me, Thy chicken and Thy manual, they