Re: Boarding SuSE with Debian

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:24:59PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:17:45PM -0700, Nate Campi wrote:
> >
> > I'd recommend using the swap
> > partition as suggested above, and using the original kernel from suse.
> > You know it boots the box, so use it again.
>
> Er, I meant the _currently_ running kernel. Using a known good kernel
> cuts down the number of things that can go wrong - the guiding principle
> for sysadmins ;)

Yes, but be _very_ careful... you will need more than just the kernel, you
will also need any initrd images, and you will need to make sure that the
kernel+initrd will work for the new configuration... ie don't change fs type
or anything.

In some ways trying to use the same kernel introduces as much risk as it
avoids... I'd probably be inclined to risk a new kernel rather than risk
stuffing up running the old kernel under a new distro...

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key