Re: fail-over

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:43:46PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> I have two links to the net.  A primary link which is quite reliable and a
> secondary link that is a stand-by.
>
> What's the best way of making the secondary take over?
>
> There's no need to routing protocols because we don't have routing protocols
> running, but I'd be happy to install something like Zebra if it can be
> configured to ping hosts on one link and switch to the other link if they
> stop responding.

Zebra AFAIK is for running BGP, which will require major upstream
co-operation. You need to register some sort of BGP number etc. This is the
best solution if you have multiple "real" routes and you want the world to
know about it and use the best route depending on where they are connected.

Secondary backup links don't usually want BGP and Zebra. What you use does
depend on what you want it for... do you want to serve stuff over the
backup, or just connect upstream?

There is a good description of the issues and step-by-step instructions at;

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

It's a bit RH sentric, but still relevant.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key