fail-over

I have two links to the net.  A primary link which is quite reliable and a
secondary link that is a stand-by.

What's the best way of making the secondary take over?

There's no need to routing protocols because we don't have routing protocols
running, but I'd be happy to install something like Zebra if it can be
configured to ping hosts on one link and switch to the other link if they
stop responding.

I could write a shell script to do some pings, but there's the risk that bugs
in my script cause more problems than network outages...  :(