Re: Maildirs in Debian

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:17:42PM +0100, Phillip Baker wrote:
> Some would say, the solution would be to delete messages instead of hoarding
> all your mailing list email which is more than likely archived automatically
> by the list manager anyway (one would hope - I haven't actually checked, but
> I'm sure theres got to be an archive of the debian lists somewhere).
>
> There's no way I'd consider keeping more than about 30 messages on hand at
> any one time for any mailing list - I simply dont see the point in clogging
> my machine up ;)

I'm not trying to change your mind on anything, but I think there's
something you're overlooking - vacations. I was out of town last week,
and my "systems" folder is the list where my SysAdmin team gets email.
It receives anywhere from 500 to over 1000 email messages a day. In one
week that's quite a lot of email. maildir helps quite a bit with large
mail loads like this.
--
"A crash is when your competitor's program dies. When your program
dies, it is an 'idiosyncrasy'. Frequently, crashes are followed with a