Re: Maildirs in Debian

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002, Nate Campi wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:53:32AM +0200, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> >
> > Please realize that it's not enough to stat them. Your MUA needs to open
> > all of them to read the mail headers:
>
> True, not the best proof, but opening that mail folder on ext3 takes
> only a second or two with mutt, and opening it on reiserfs with mutt
> takes 30 seconds or more.

Opening debian-isp with a mere 6000 messages takes approximatly 30
seconds here. The NFS server is a P2 400, hd is some lvm scsi raid1, NFS
client a P3 500 and the link is a Fast Ethernet (3com) with no load at
all. I'm currently using ext3 on the server.

I hoped to get some performance gain from switching to Maildir and it
certainly has its advantages (locking) but I seriously consider going
back to good old mbox which took perhaps 3 or 4 seconds to open. Opening
debian-bugs-*, -devel or -user takes _minutes_, it is simply no longer
fun.

					yours,
					peter

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal