Re: Maildirs in Debian

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:19, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Germ?n Gutierrez">
>
> > Jeff,
> >      please share the cons/pros with us
>
> The following document provides a good analysis of why Maildir was more
> appropriate to Courier IMAP's general audience and tasks (the SELECT.1
> benchmarks are telling):
>
>   http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

My first encounter with the deficiencies of mbox was when running a mail
server on an early 486 class machine with a 500M IDE hard drive.  If a mbox
exceeded about 5M in size (somewhere between 2M and 20M depending on how busy
the server was at the time) then the pop server couldn't read it all before
the client timed out on the "list" command and mail became inaccessable.

If you are going to use mbox in any serious fashion you need one of the
indexed versions (which aren't true mbox).