Re: Proftpd+SSL/TLS!!!

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 at 17:43:43 +1200, Dave Watkins wrote:

> Sorry if this has been said. I haven't been following the thread, but why
> not setup stunnel and run proftpd through that? I've done it here for mail
> and it works great (even with qmail and daemontools), so I see no reason
> why you couldn't do the same for FTP

Unfortunately, FTP can't cooperate with stunnel.
As FAQ says ( http://www.stunnel.org/faq/troubleshooting.html#ToC14 ):

  FTP over Stunnel won't work
       I just can't get ftp to work over Stunnel no matter how hard I
       try.
       Answer: Stunnel cannot be used for the FTP daemon because of the
       nature of the FTP protocol which utilizes multiple ports for data
       transfers. There are SSL aware FTP servers available.
       Alternitively you could use a different protocol. All versions of
       SSH include a program called scp which works like rcp. Recent
       versions of OpenSSH include a program called sftp which has an
       ftp-like feel.

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.