Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

[This is exactly the kind of exchange I was trying to avoid, oh well]

[...]
    EvB> In short, you can only compare qmail and sendmail. Not only
    EvB> does the latter have a bad reputation for complexity, but for
    EvB> its amount of bugs and lack of security as well.

What you say aboout sendmail was true in the late 80's to mid-90s.  Its
recent track record is much better.  Do you know of any recent
vulnerabilities other than the monor ones mentioned at
http://www.sendmail.org/ ?

Sendmail is _very_ flexible but it is probably not good for the
inexperienced admin.  If you are willing to read documentation and M4
doesn't scare you, it is a fairly safe bet.  In my most humble opinion
one ought not be running an ISP of any viable size if one has trouble
getting sendmail to do what's needed.

I will refrain from commenting on Qmail, other than saying that it
does work.  But if I were to learn a new MTA, I'd take a good look at
postfix for the main reason that I like the postfix community much
better that the Qmail community.  I recommend anyone contemplating
about sendmail for serious use to hang out in comp.mail.sendmail for a
while to see if they fit into the profile that group is supportive of.

    EvB> It may still be the standard MTA in certain commercial
    EvB> unixes, but IMHO the advantages offered by that (whatever
    EvB> they may be) won't outweigh the drawbacks for most people. [...]

Have you used both?  (by which I mean did you get both to work for you
for a reasonable amount of time?).

cheers,

BM