Re: Newbie: Is there a basic Debian-for-ISP HOWTO?

Did you mean to reply off-list?  Please, let's take this back
to the list.

On 29 Jul 2002 at 12:35, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:

> Hi, I occasionally train people on this and the advice that will work
> for you depends on what exactly you are after and how you like to
> learn.  If you enjoy reading as much as playing around the best advice
> I can give you is the following:
>
> -- Understand how DNS works.  This is crucial for understanding most
> of the 'virtual' stuff that goes on.  Easy to do as there's a good
> book (DNS and BIND by Albitz and Liu) but a disturbing number of
> people demonstrate a lack of clue in this regard (I won't name
> companies here).

[grin] ... have the book, haven't perused it in detail.

> -- Once armed with the above, you need a basic understanding of SMTP,
> ftp, and http.  Then pick the packages for each, and learn to make
> them do what you want.  I use sendmail, proftpd and apache
> respectively.

any comments on qmail or procmail vs sendmail welcome.  I've
heard Bad Things about sendmail's complexity but it _is_ the
standard ... what do you use for MLM?  mailman?

> If you know all this, you can just skip the pre-packaged installs and
> do an apt-get install sendmail proftpd apache (and possibly bind) and
> you'll be on your way.

will I need sourcecode for apache to set up suEXEC options for
virtual hosting in my own choice of directory tree (i.e.
DocRoot in /www-data instead of the default /var/www)?

> There will be other equally valid answers that recommend some easy
> plug and chug solution, but if you follow the above advice you'll
> actually _start_ from the point where you understand what you are
> doing.

Thanks.