Re: throttle pop3 access

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 20:16, Tinus Nijmeijers wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 11:11, Roger Abrahamsson wrote:
> > >I'm having the problem that users are checking their mail (pop3) every
> > >other minute or so.
> > suddenly blocked.. change password or whatever, and then restore it 5/10
> > minutes
>
> yes. seems more expensive than just letting them carry on though.

And you are missing a good Customer Service delivery opportunity  that
works in both the commercial and non-profit worlds.  You report the
effect on your services by the configuration on the computer that they
use.  Inform them it needs to be brought up to date, and then deliver
your selected means of getting the client side working properly with
your servers.

Automate the detection of "frequent checkers" if you wish but send them
email, they do want to get some.  Turn it into a positive experience by
being proactive using email itself.  We have been very successful with a
5 - 10 minute phone call, as a local provider providing the local
service edge.  We have had some reasonable success with specific
instructions via email, but you need to know the software they use and
version to do it correctly.  For many, I would imagine language would be
an issue.

It is a one time fix, giving you an opportunity to display both your
concern for service and your technical competence.  Or be a BOFH.

Gerard
--
Bowman said: "So you put it with the players, they are the one that
decide