Re: throttle pop3 access

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 11:11, Roger Abrahamsson wrote:
> Hello.
> Tinus Nijmeijers wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I'm having the problem that users are checking their mail (pop3) every
> >other minute or so. no problem with the 200 accounts that we have right
> >now, but I wouldn't mind being able to throttle their checking. max once
> >per 10 min's for instance.
> >Ideal would be to let the pop3 server tell them (if they checked again
> >within 10 minutes of the last time): "no messages".
> >
> >any ideas where to look?
> >

> Well, scripts looking into logfiles, and each account that checks too
> often gets
> suddenly blocked.. change password or whatever, and then restore it 5/10
> minutes
> later.. that should do the trick.
> /Roger
> --
> Roger Abrahamsson
> Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB

yes. seems more expensive than just letting them carry on though.

has this never ever occurred to anyone? can't find anything on it. is it
that expensive to have the pop daemon (whichever it may be) keep a list
of recently checked accounts?

I am in no position to take apart the code for a pop-daemon, way over my
head. I just have a hard time believing that no one thought of
throttling pop access.

(I know for a fact that a cable provider here in the Netherlands had a
big problem their first year just because everyone that joined started
checking their mail every minute instead of the 3 times per day that
they were accustomed to on dial-up)

tinus.