Re: webmail

On Jun 16, Russell Coker wrote:

> What's a good webmail system to use?
>
> [snipped]

not all of them are debianized however recently in preparation of a big
service server I'm setting up soon I looked into webmail stuff and trawled
through *every* one on freshmeat.... :)

heres the list (well actually the e-mail I sent to my friends who are
involved in the 'project'):

-----------------------
if we are doing all this fancy e-mail stuff with tacobell it may be worth
considering setting up a web-based e-mail thing.  Especially if you are
planning on telling your friends about the 'service'.  Most won't like using
a UNIX mail client 'fun' and they probably don't want to use an IMAP/POP
account.....

Some of these clients are *very* nice, others less so.  I would recommend,
if you consider this a good idea, is to have several/all running on the
machine at first and then after a period of trial testing we select the one
we all love the most :)

Before I hand out a stack of links to them heres some interesting bits that
could help enchance the 'experience' of webmail:
http://wuming.it/wap/ (WAP access)
http://www.sanisoft.com/wappop/ (WAP access)

http://www.verelst.net/outlook.html (access outlook accounts via our thing
transparently)

And heres the list of them (review page http://www.cru.fr/http-mail/):
http://ilohamail.org/main.php
http://www.horde.org/imp/
http://jawmail.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://neomail.sourceforge.net/
http://webmail.omnis.ch/omail.pl?action=3Dabout
http://openwebmail.org/
http://www.phpgroupware.org/index.php
http://phorecast.org/
http://ractive.ch/popper/index.php
http://prometheus.zerodivide.net/apps/pimp/
http://www.squirrelmail.org/
http://www.trlinux.com/
http://twig.screwdriver.net/
http://www.uebimiau.sili.com.br/

Tell me what you lot think and we will deal with it, this collection was made
up from trawling freshmeat.net.  So if you are looking for other ones I would
use freshmeat. :)

Alex

most of the above have a 'preview' feature you can use on their website.  And
there are definately one or two very professional GPL ones which have
calender support.

have fun

Alex

--
/ All things being equal, you are bound \