Re: Xeon on Linux

One thing, I would not go with a Xeon, only if I was planning a quad then perhaps. When you run many concurrent processes, the cache utilization goes down since you do so much context switching. Granted that recent kernels have improved much, but since you still dont have fully associative cache memories, there will be a lot of cache competition and subsequent cache flushes.. with 4+ cpu's this changes and the performance gain begins to be noticeable.. Hyperthreading do help a little bit, but
not by that much..

My suggestion is go with a 2CPU Athlon or P4 system.. Compared to Xeons they
are fairly cheap, and you will only loose performance in the order or 1-2%.

Regards
Roger Abrahamsson

Cameron Moore wrote:

* pahud@pahud.net (Patrick Hsieh) [2002.05.28 22:28]:
How does Linux support Xeon CPU currently?
I am considering to use dual P-III 1G or single Xeon 2.2G architecture.

Consider the following pages:

 http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/products/server/processor/
 http://www.intel.com/eBusiness/pdf/prod/server/xeon/wp020901.pdf

According to that white paper, the Xeon's new "Hyper-Threading"
technology that they're bragging about should show benefits without
modifications to current apps, but they say the threading scheme makes a
big difference.  Having said that, unless there are some kernel
developers on this list, I'd suggest searching the linux-kernel list
archives for an answer or getting up the nerve to ask the kernel gurus
yourself.  Heck, you may even make kernel-traffic.  :-)