Re: how to design mysql clusters with 30,000 clients?

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 01:42:12PM -0400, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:

> While he may still need a large amount of DB muscle for other things,
> using PHP/MySQL sessions for a site that really expects to have 30,000
> different HTTP clients at peak instants is not very bright.  We have
> cookies for this.  Server-side sessions are a great fallback for
> paranoid end-users who disable cookies in their browser, but it is my
> understanding that PHP relies on a cookie-based session ID anyway?

What's not very bright is rather using MySQL in a somewhat audacious
configuration, for which support is quite recent (and thus, probably
not bugfree). In a high load / high availability environnement.

An Oracle would probably be better here. At least, it has proven
replication mechanisms.

Cookie based *whatever* is generally not a good idea. PHP sessions can
be handled using cookies or URL signatures. And BTW, they do not
necessarily require database backend. They can be handled on the
filesystem, though I'm not sure whether it works well in a shared NFS
environnement.

Note: I never implemented something like this. These are juste ideas.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive