Re: how to design mysql clusters with 30,000 clients?

I don't know if anyone else who followed-up on this thread has ever
implemented a high traffic web site of this calibre, but the original
poster is really just trying to band-aid a poor session management
mechanism into working for traffic levels it wasn't really intended for.

While he may still need a large amount of DB muscle for other things,
using PHP/MySQL sessions for a site that really expects to have 30,000
different HTTP clients at peak instants is not very bright.  We have
cookies for this.  Server-side sessions are a great fallback for
paranoid end-users who disable cookies in their browser, but it is my
understanding that PHP relies on a cookie-based session ID anyway?

I tried to follow up with the original poster directly but I can't
deliver mail to his MX for some reason.  *shrug*

Look into signed cookies for authen/authz/session, using a shared secret
known by all your web servers.  This is not a new concept, nor a
difficult one.  It can even be implemented using PHP, though a C apache
module is smarter.

--
Jeff S Wheeler               jsw@five-elements.com
Software Development            Five Elements, Inc