Re: user name length

Hi,

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Glenn Hocking wrote:

> sendmail and qpopper.
>
> so that  glenn@sitegeneral.com is a total different user than
> glenn@publishmedia.com

The easiest way to do that is to move to a setup where pop3 users !=
unix users.

The conceptual way to do this is to have all mboxes/maildirs (latter
preferred, of course) owned by the same unix user, and to use some form
of table other than /etc/passwd to supply the POP3 server with the
users' password and the path to the mbox/maildir, based on the
full user@domain name.

There's lots of documents on how to do that, look for things titled
'virtual pop3 server' or 'pop3 toaster' or similar.

I've once had to set up something like that, and I used qmail's POP3
server because it allows an external script to sort out the
authentication and 'authorization' (i.e. the uid and home directory to
use) details.

That script was a simple perl script that checked the POP3 password
against the RADIUS server (the most up-to-date password database at the
time that was accessible in a straightforward way -- you'd probably want
to use LDAP or MySQL instead), and always used the same uid/gid (in
fact, the POP3 server ran as that user).

It translated an user name such as jsmith@dom.ain.tld to
/var/spool/maildirs/tld/ain/dom/j/jsmith, for use by qmail's POP3 server
as the user's virtual home directory, in which it would look for a
Maildir containing this user's mail.

Of course, you also need your feed your MTA or delivery agent with a
table that maps (multiple) addresses to virtual user maildirs in such a
setup, and I don't know whether that's easily doable with sendmail
(qmail uses a hash table for that that it generates from a flat ASCII
table).

Hope this helps,

Emile.

--