Re: user name length

sendmail and qpopper.

so that  glenn@sitegeneral.com is a total different user than glenn@publishmedia.com

I have a new client that wants to use their original email setups that use the full email address for pop3. Not sure what system the used to use (NT) but their usernames are as above. It all works except for max of 32 characters.

Cheers
Glenn Hocking
Publish Media Pty Ltd

http://www.sitegeneral.com/

Cameron Moore wrote:
* glenn@publishmedia.com (Glenn Hocking) [2002.05.16 22:39]:
It turns out the problem is user names that are over 32 characters. This
is why useradd worked sometimes. The escape '\@' was a red herring. I
will still use '\@' as it seems more correct but this does not fix my
problem.

Can anybody tell me if the max user name is actually my problem, if it
can be increased and how.

The solution is to stop using passwd/shadow authentication. I'd suggest
moving to some kind of database (MySQL, LDAP, etc). Why do you need the
domain name anyway? What service is this authenticating for?