Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:28:42PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > will you get it through your thick head?  this has nothing to do
> > with "complaints".  it has everything to do with spam received.
>
> Sorry, but he doesn't deserve that comment.

yes, he does.  i got very tired of pointing out that complaints are
worthless.  they are worthless because they come from strangers who are
probably idiots - if not, then they're untrustworthy.

> My question to you: how will a source-blacklisting RBL know that
> people have received a certain amount of spam from a certain source,
> other than from complaints from the receivers of the spam?

spamtrap addresses.  more precisely, a network of spamtrap addresses.

it's easy.  create a new address.  post one message to usenet or to a
mailing list, or put it up on a web site somewhere.  wait for the spam
to roll in.  repeat several dozen times.  share results (or just raw
spam - i.e. "data") with other anti-spam activists whom you trust are
both competetent and responsible people.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.