Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

On Tue, 7 May 2002 18:41, Craig Sanders wrote:
> yes, you have missed it because i've mentioned it several times in this
> thread.  here it is spelt out so that even you or jason should be able
> to understand it:
>
> 1. is the site an open relay?

Most people here agree on this, but you'll still see some debate,
particularly about the distinction between relays that are merely open and
relays that have been actively abused.  Some people think that we shouldn't
block an open relay until it's spammed us.

> 2. is the site a spam source?

What is a "spam source"?  If one of your customers suddenly starts sending
out spam does that make you a spam source?  What if they do it just after the
chief admin has gone on holidays and the junior people make spam blocking a
low priority?

> 3. does the site host any spamvertised sites?

That is not inherantly wrong.  If someone who is paying one of my clients for
legitimate web serving and spamvertises it through another ISP then I won't
immidiately take the site down.  Firstly it's an issue for the other ISP to
stop the spam being sent.  Then I have to be convinced that the spam was sent
out by the owner of the site before I will consider taking it down (otherwise
if you don't like a site you can spamvertise it to get it taken down).

> 4. does the site provide any other spam support services?

OK, but that's difficult to determine.