Re: [Fwd: Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?]

> > 1. is the site an open relay?
>
> Most people here agree on this, but you'll still see some debate,
> particularly about the distinction between relays that are merely open
and
> relays that have been actively abused.  Some people think that we
shouldn't
> block an open relay until it's spammed us.

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty". But thats me.

And I also believe in it, because it is very possible that one of the
tests to determine if it is an open-relay is braindead... what if I made a
mail server that pretends it will relay email, but in fact does not, and
actually records the IP that tried to abuse the open relay and reports it
to the admins (i consider that very whitehat)? My point is that the test
is not foolproof either... unlike your "everything is black and white"
stance.

This word is not "black or white"... if only it were.

> > 3. does the site host any spamvertised sites?
>
> That is not inherantly wrong.  If someone who is paying one of my
clients for
> legitimate web serving and spamvertises it through another ISP then I
won't
> immidiately take the site down.  Firstly it's an issue for the other ISP
> stop the spam being sent.  Then I have to be convinced that the spam was
sent
> out by the owner of the site before I will consider taking it down
(otherwise
> if you don't like a site you can spamvertise it to get it taken down).

Actually, we have experienced this. A number of our clients have those
"affiliate" programs, and every now and then, one of their affiliates
decides to promote via spam. We will not take them down straight away...
because we have worked with our clients and know they will remove that
affiliate.