Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?

Jason Lim wrote:

> Also note that Spamcop blocks points of origination... that is, afaik, it
> blocks the actual sender's IP.
>
> Now, if your IP was 111.222.111.222 and the spammer's (which is blocked by
> spamcop) is 111.222.111.223, then you would still not be affected, because
> only the spammer's IP was blocked.
>
> And Spamcop does *NOT* block entire ranges of IPs like other RBLs, so it
> is virtually impossible for you to say that t-online, gmx and web.de are
> "blocked". Only the spamming IPs within their ranges would be blocked, NOT
> the entire range.

A question, so I can understand how SpamCop and RBLs in general work as
you understand it. Does SpamCop block the specific IP address of the
client workstation/host (as opposed to a mail server) that originated
the specific spam message or the IP address of a relay through which the
spammer sent his garbage? If it is the IP of the originating host that
is blocked, how does this work exactly. Does the mail software check the
IP address of each host that handled a message to see if it is
blacklisted? If it is the a mail relay, wouldn't that seem to indicate
legitimate mail going through that serice provider will be blocked as
well?