Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?

> > > Yes, but here is the thing you did not mention. Spamcop does not
> > > automatically block an IP just because a few people complained. It
> > > takes into consideration the ENTIRE mail volume. So, using your
> > > example, if the mailing list sends out 50,000 emails per day, and
some
> > > cretin is, as you said, too stupid to unsubscribe and submits to
> > > spamcop, then it would be 1-2 emails out of 50,000 tagged as spam.
> >
> > don't believe everything you read on a company's web site.
>
> On their web site it says that the size of the server is guessed by the
> spamcop administrators.  So if your servers get hit too easily and too
often
> then the thing to do would be to send them a polite message informing
them of
> the size of your servers, the number of messages going through, the
number of
> users, and your spam policies.  Then request that they add a weighting
such
> that one or two false reports won't hurt you.  I am sure that they will
be
> happy to oblige.

Yes, and remember that Spamcop admins and people are publically accessable
and in no way try to hide behind a veil of secrecy like other RBL
operators (some who don't even want you to contact them at all). So at
least you have a chance at working with the Spamcop admins to get things
resolved, and from my experience they are quite willing to co-operate with
sysadmins, as long as everyone is nice and polite about everything.

> > how is spamcop going to know the volume when they don't have access to
> > the logs?  all they see are the complaints.
>
> They know about big organizations such as hotmail.com, and they rely on
> reports from other administrators to guage the size of other servers.

The large ones are quite obvious and public (yahoo, hotmail, netscape,
etc. freemail servers), and the smaller-mid size mail servers are reported
by sysadmins, as you said.

> > > I might also mention that it is not hard to get out of spamcop's
> > > lists, even if you are listed. Unless a site continually gets spam
> > > complaints, I think spamcop checks the RBL database ever 24... or
was
> > > it every week...  and removes stale/old entries. Try to get off some
> > > of the OTHER RBLs...  they make you beg and plead for your
innocence,
> > > and then most times they say "screw you spammer" and thats it....
you
> > > are left being blocked until kingdom come.
> >
> > all of the RBLs i use have very simple methods for getting off.  close
> > the open relay and submit your server for retesting.  done.  no
problem.
> > if it's no longer an open relay then it will be de-listed.
>
> Unless it's a "spam source" listing...

I'm not sure, but how many ISPs still allow direct-to-MX-style mail
sending (sending direct from the dialup or cable or whatever, without
using additional mail servers)? I know quite a few Australian ISP that
still allow it (not the big ones like Bigpond or Optusnet AFAIK), and many
HK ISPs still allow it... how about in the USA and Europe?