Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Jason Lim wrote:

> I'm not sure, but how many ISPs still allow direct-to-MX-style mail
> sending (sending direct from the dialup or cable or whatever, without
> using additional mail servers)? I know quite a few Australian ISP that
> still allow it (not the big ones like Bigpond or Optusnet AFAIK), and many
> HK ISPs still allow it... how about in the USA and Europe?

Well, I'm in the Netherlands, and personally I'm glad to see that my ISP
(xs4all) doesn't assume that their customers are unresponsible by
default, so they don't block outgoing SMTP from dialup or DSL customers.

However, they do probe customers for open relays occasionally, and when
either that or a complaint from someone else shows that one of their
customers isn't behaving, they will block.

That is entirely the right thing to do, IMNSHO. I subscribed for full
connectivity; I run my own MTA here and I know very well how to do it,
thank you very much. I'd never, ever choose an ISP who considers their
customers guilty by default.

Next thing you know they only give you an RFC1918 address, forcing you
to surf through a proxy and to use POP3 to get your mail.

At that point the Internet's conversion from a world wide network to the
digital interactive medium for entertainment, shopping and ad-delivery
will be complete I guess.

Cheers,

Emile.

--