Re: Spamassasin over RBL, was Re: rblsmtpd -t?

On Fri, 3 May 2002 08:23, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > Yes, but here is the thing you did not mention. Spamcop does not
> > automatically block an IP just because a few people complained. It
> > takes into consideration the ENTIRE mail volume. So, using your
> > example, if the mailing list sends out 50,000 emails per day, and some
> > cretin is, as you said, too stupid to unsubscribe and submits to
> > spamcop, then it would be 1-2 emails out of 50,000 tagged as spam.
>
> don't believe everything you read on a company's web site.

On their web site it says that the size of the server is guessed by the
spamcop administrators.  So if your servers get hit too easily and too often
then the thing to do would be to send them a polite message informing them of
the size of your servers, the number of messages going through, the number of
users, and your spam policies.  Then request that they add a weighting such
that one or two false reports won't hurt you.  I am sure that they will be
happy to oblige.

> how is spamcop going to know the volume when they don't have access to
> the logs?  all they see are the complaints.

They know about big organizations such as hotmail.com, and they rely on
reports from other administrators to guage the size of other servers.

> > I might also mention that it is not hard to get out of spamcop's
> > lists, even if you are listed. Unless a site continually gets spam
> > complaints, I think spamcop checks the RBL database ever 24... or was
> > it every week...  and removes stale/old entries. Try to get off some
> > of the OTHER RBLs...  they make you beg and plead for your innocence,
> > and then most times they say "screw you spammer" and thats it.... you
> > are left being blocked until kingdom come.
>
> all of the RBLs i use have very simple methods for getting off.  close
> the open relay and submit your server for retesting.  done.  no problem.
> if it's no longer an open relay then it will be de-listed.

Unless it's a "spam source" listing...