[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: (Spamcop) [listadmin@jtsterlings.com: J.T. Sterlings Daily Special

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Jason Lim wrote:
> > Spamcop is the only spam prevention system we can use as a company,
> > because many of those other blocklists include Asian mail servers
> > by USA spammers 99.999% of the time... but that is another issue).
> But in 99.999% of those cases, the abuse by the USA spammer was only
> possible because the Asian server was an open relay. There's *no* excuse
> for that. Whatsoever.
> I'm also against blocking whole netblocks, however seed.net.tw is one of
> those ISPs that apparently keeps on selling new small blocks to the same
> bunch of criminals without responding to any complaints.
> Then what to do? Personally, I can get away by blocking all of Seednet,
> I won't loose any business. But what would *you* advise in such a case?

Personally, to my Spamcop's solution is good. If there are complaints, and
the ISP does not take action, ignores it, etc. (as you say with this
"seednet"), then the IPs remain blocked for 1 week. So during that week,
if the same problem keeps happening, then their mail still won't get
through. And if any does get through, then they get blocked for another
week because people like me and everyone else will resubmit their details.
So they more or less get continually blocked, even without "pre-blocking"
all their IPs.

As for abuse by USA spammers, its not easy for me to explain to you. I'm
half Asian... one of my parents are Asian. I grew up in Asia. I spend half
my time in Asia. And I can really say there are 2 things I can see. 1)
software mainly written in english... yes, this is a real problem. Not for
me... but I have seen my fellow workers and clients struggle with the
terminology, etc. trying to understand english manuals. 2) Asian culture
tends to be "permissive", as in you are allowed to do virtually anything
you want unless you do something bad.

This is one very good reason why, in Asia, people talk more about the
"spirit" of the law, rather than the actual law itself. In the long run,
probably every country will end up being forced to have very convoluted
and extremely large/long USA-style law detailing every little single
possible occurance of anything. Asian people believe in giving "face", and
that means not limiting or stepping on people's toes if at all possible.
Thus many ISPs do not like to or want to force their clients to change
mail settings, or cut them off if they run insecure mail servers.

(btw. I am in no way saying running open relays is good, and we don't run
any, but I'm just giving you a reason as to why this does happen).

I sincerely doubt that Asian companies nor people like to or want to have
their things abused by foreigners. Think about it... China VS USA... and
you'll understand what I mean. Thus there is no malicious intent by
Chinese sysadmins for leaving open relays, but there IS malicious intent
by USA spammers to abuse Asia.

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-request@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Reply to: