Re[2]: boot problem

22. bøezna 2002 16:19:09, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:22, Michal Novotny wrote:
>> I have a real problem booting my Debian.
>> I just upgraded all packages (running dselect).
>> Now what I get after reboot is (last lines):
>>
>> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01

> 03 is the major number for hda.  03:01 is /dev/hda1.

> The request module message indicates that you don't have a device driver for
> hda1which means that you haven't loaded ide-disk, or you didn't load
> ide-probe-mod before ide-disk from your initrd.

But I wasn't changed  anything in kernel setup or somewhere, just only
hit upgrade, kernel was 2.4.17-386 and after upgrade is the same.
Initrd  is  the same too.  There is  changed only  /boot/boot.0301 and
/boot/map, but I think this made lilo. Other files are from 1 Feb when
I install the system...

> One possible cause for this is that you loaded an initrd from a different
> kernel version and therefore the initrd couldn't load a module.

No, there is only /boot/initrd.img-2.4.17-386, no other initrd.

>> In lilo.conf is correct root=/dev/hda1

> That part is being accepted.

>> For now, I can only boot from a floppy :(
>>
>> Is there a chance to find what dselect changed?

> Does your kernel-img.conf match mine?
> rjc@lyta:/tmp$ cat /etc/kernel-img.conf
> do_symlinks=yes
> do_initrd=yes