Re: boot problem

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Michal Novotny wrote:

> I have a real problem booting my Debian.
> I just upgraded all packages (running dselect).
> Now what I get after reboot is (last lines):
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted

It seems you haven't got the IDE driver linked in to the kernel. It
tries to auto-load it, which fails because the root fs is not mounted.

> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Are you sure rebooting *did* work *just before* you ran dselect, or
is there any chance you already had a kernel configured that didn't
contain the IDE driver?

Cheers,

Emile.

--