Re: boot problem

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:22, Michal Novotny wrote:
> I have a real problem booting my Debian.
> I just upgraded all packages (running dselect).
> Now what I get after reboot is (last lines):
>
> request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01

03 is the major number for hda.  03:01 is /dev/hda1.

The request module message indicates that you don't have a device driver for
hda1which means that you haven't loaded ide-disk, or you didn't load
ide-probe-mod before ide-disk from your initrd.

One possible cause for this is that you loaded an initrd from a different
kernel version and therefore the initrd couldn't load a module.

> In lilo.conf is correct root=/dev/hda1

That part is being accepted.

> For now, I can only boot from a floppy :(
>
> Is there a chance to find what dselect changed?

Does your kernel-img.conf match mine?
rjc@lyta:/tmp$ cat /etc/kernel-img.conf
do_symlinks=yes
do_initrd=yes
rjc@lyta:/tmp$

PS I've CC'd this to debian-user as it's not an ISP issue.