Re: Mail Servers

At 02:08 PM 3/18/02, Russell Coker wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:12, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > 1 What is the max user limit that woody + exim will support
> >
> > It's WAY above 500. :-)
>
> It also seriously depends on what the hardware is. I think a 486/33 might
> have a bit of trouble coping with 500 (or lets say 200-300) simultaneous
> and concurrent users trying to check their email at the beginning of the
> work day.

That depends on how many messages are waiting, whether the users leave mail
on the server, and whether they use mbox storage.

If users leave mail on the server in mbox format, and they are emailing
around Word files etc then a new P3 machine with 1G of RAM and a RAID setup
of fast hard drives will have big problems.

If the users do only plain-ascii mail with no big attachments, don't leave
their mail on the server, have a fast connection to the server, and Maildir
is used then 500 people logging on in a period of 10 minutes should work on a
486-33 with 64M of RAM.

I hadn't even thought of using a RAID set up. I haven't had any experience with
them. Hmm.. looks like I asked the right question in the right place after all.

Thanks
Chris