Re: Cistron-Radius Users

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Russell Coker wrote:

> > The only thing that would move him is if I get some success stories from
> > using cistron radius....the bigger the number the better. So, you guys
> > know of BIG names (or numbers) using cistron radius??
>
> I've worked on two large RADIUS server installations.  One was running
> FreeRADIUS (a PERL based RADIUS server that's slow as a dog but even so is
> able to serve requests for 1,000,000 users).  The other was running a RADIUS
> server that has since been bought out by Cisco.

That must have been Radiator, not FreeRADIUS. FreeRADIUS is written in C
and in some cases it's said to be faster than Cistron.

Of course, it's hardly the radius server itself that is the bottleneck
here, but the backend database, especially if you're writing accounting
information. *That* tends to be the hardest on a RADIUS server, not
authentication.

Measuring the amount of fully static authentications may give a nice big
number, but it doesn't mean a thing - just like the IIS vs. Apache
comparison.

> The Cistron RADIUS server is a solid product that's well tested.  The source
> is available and it's easy to upgrade if you find a bug.

I can second that, having implemented it on a number of occasions.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   e-advies@evbergen.xs4all.nl